MPHCA provides assistance to support member CHCs with recruiting and retaining qualified health professionals to ensure access to care for the medically underserved and uninsured in Mississippi. Our CHCs are seeking dedicated primary care clinicians to provide quality health care to those in need across the state.
The Mississippi Office of Rural Health and Primary Care Dentist Loan Repayment Program - 2013 Cycle Open!
The Mississippi Office of Rural Health and Primary Care Dentist Loan Repayment Program (MORHPC DLRP) will support efforts to recruit and retain ten (10) dentists to provide oral health care services in Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) in the state of Mississippi. The program will assist dentists with the repayment of outstanding qualifying educational loans. The MORHPC DLRP is administered through a partnership between the Mississippi Office of Rural Health and Primary Care and the Mississippi Primary Health Care Association.
The MORHPC DLRP will pay up to $40,000 for an initial three years of full-time clinical service (defined as no less than 40 hours per week, for a minimum of 45 weeks a year). Half-Time Clinical Practice is not an option under the MORHPC DLRP. Interested candidates must submit the MORHPC DLRP application to be considered for the program.
APPLICATION and FORMSThe application is a PDF document. Please follow the instructions below:
(1) Download the application and save it on your computer
(2) Complete the application by typing your responses directly in the PDF document
A MORHPC DLRP complete application consist of:
- Attaching the required documentation
- Attaching the additional supporting documentation
(Applicants should keep a copy of the application package for their records. It is required that the information in the application match the supporting documentation.)
(3) Print and obtain the required original signatures and mail documents to:
Attn: Myrtis Small, Dentist Loan Repayment Program Coordinator
Mississippi Primary Health Care Association
6400 Lakeover Road, Suite A
Jackson, MS 39283
Phone: 601-981-1817 or Fax: 601-981-1217
Clinicians Application Checklist
- MORHPC DLRP 2013 Application
- Loan Information and Verification Sheet
- Authorization to Release Information
- Site Information and Verification Sheet
- Site Application 2013
- MORHPC DLRP Contract Agreement
- MORHPC DLRP Grantee Quarterly Verification of Employment Form
- MORHPC DLRP 2012-2013 Contract Continuation Application
Recruitment & Retention
Recruitment and retention is very important for Community Health Centers. The following lins can be used to enhance recruitment and retention efforts, and also in training CHC staff to be more prepared and involved in this process:
- National Health Service Corps: The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) help recruit and retain qualified health care clinicians who care about underserved people and choose to work where they are needed most. Federally qualified health centers are NHSC-approved sites where dentists, dental hygienists, primary care physicians, nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives, physician assistants, and mental health professionals who are eligible for loan repayment funding or have received scholarships can fulfill their service obligation.
NHSC Site Reference Guide
The new NHSC Site Reference Guide, is now available on the NHSC website at http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/communities/pdf/sitereferenceguide.pdf. The purpose of this resource is to provide clarity on site eligibility requirements, qualification factors, compliance, roles and responsibilities, and other information related to becoming or continuing as an NHSC approved site.
The National Health Service Corp (NHSC) Loan Repayment program is now accepting applications through March 20th, 2014. This program offers primary care providers an opportunity to have their loan's repaid at up to $50,000 for an initial 2 year commitment, in exchange for providing care in an underserved environment. General eligibility requirements as listed on the NHSC website are:
* Have unpaid student loans
* A U.S. citizen or U.S. national
* Must work in an NHSC approved site
* Licensed in any of the following specialties
o Medicine (MD/DO)
o Physician Assistant (primary care)
o Nursing (Nurse Practitioner, Certified Nurse-Midwife, Psychiatric Nurse Specialist)
o Dentistry (DDS, DMD); Dental Hygienist
o Mental and Behavioral Health (Health Services Psychologist, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Licensed Professional Counselor, Marriage and Family Therapist)
Please visit the http://www.nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/index.html to review eligibility requirements and application information.
HPSA scores for NHSC
As of January 1, 2013, HPSA scores for NHSC-approved sites have been locked. These scores apply to 2013 program cycles including new awards and continuations for Loan Repayors as well as applications and approvals for sites. The NHSC will use the HPSA score, associated with your site, as listed on the NHSC Jobs Center. Please refer to the NHSC Jobs Center if you are unsure about the HPSA score the NHSC will use for your site.
Submission and Processing for Continuation Contract Applications have changed for 2013
The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Loan Repayment Program (LRP) approach to submitting and processing Continuation Contract applications has changed for 2013. Participants must now submit applications during the defined application cycles. The continuation application cycles are based on each participant’s current contract end-date. The cycles are as follows:
If your NHSC LRP service commitment
will be complete between...
Apply for your NHSC LRP
Continuation Contract between...
December 31, 2012 and May 30, 2013
January 2, 2013 and February 5, 2013
May 31, 2013 and September 29, 2013
April 30, 2013 and May 28, 2013
You can apply each year and pay off all of your qualifying educational debt in return for additional years of services.
Important Note: Requests for transfers, reassignments, suspensions, and service-type conversions take time to review and process. If upon the review of a participants application it is discovered a change in their service location or service-type is required, the participant may not qualify for a 2013 Continuation Contract and will have to compete for a new contract during the 2013 Loan Repayment Program open application cycle.Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship Program: In 2007 the Mississippi Legislature created the Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship Program, creating a unique longitudinal program that identifies rural college students who aspire to return to their roots to practice medicine. Academic enrichment, faculty and physician mentoring plus solid medical school financial support through the Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship Program enables capable young Mississippians to address the challenge of Mississippi's healthcare crisis.
- Office of Rural Health and Primary Care:The Primary Care Office is located in the office of Rural Health and Primary Care at the Mississippi State Department of Health. The Primary Care Office ensures that efforts are undertaken to address the availablity of primary care services for underserved residents in the State of Mississippi.